Grateful Dead Live at Mammoth Gardens on 1970-04-24
Grateful Dead, “Grateful Dead Live at Mammoth Gardens on 1970-04-24,” Grateful Dead Archive Online, accessed September 3, 2015, http://www.gdao.org/items/show/196481.
I Know You Rider, Monkey & The Engineer, Friend Of The Devil, Me & My Uncle, Candyman, Uncle John's Band Easy Wind, Cumberland Blues, Dire Wolf, Dark Star-> Saint Stephen-> The Eleven-> Drums
- This seed is an upgrade over all circulating copies. The reel tape was carefully transferred by Gerhard Schinzel, reducing the speed problems that marred previous copies. Gerhard has had a 1st generation copy off Richard Wethey's master recording since 1976.
* The first seconds of Dire Wolf and Dark Star are cut.
* The d2t8 jam cuts off.
* About 2 minutes are missing from the beginning of Man's World.
The following are details of the tape speed correction that was performed digitally. The numbers express the amount of semitones the source tape ran too fast:
* acoustic set: constant 0.4
* Gradual speed-up from 0.4 to 0.6 during Easy Wind & Cumberland,
* Dire Wolf: 0.6
* Dark Star: 0.5; almost constant
* Man's World: varying between 0.4 to 0.5
The attribution of the 4/24/70 date to this tape is debatable. Richard's notes accompanying Gerhard's reel copy do not mention any specific day; the only information given is "Mammoth Gardens Denver 1970", which leaves the choice between 4/24 and 4/25. There is a newspaper article reviewing the second show; this article is transcribed at
http://email@example.com/msg02287.html . The fact that Man's World appears on this tape points to 4/25. Uli Teute writes on Deadlists, "I don't know how the 24th got attributed to what richard taped, but if he taped the 24. and the newspaper article is correct that would make 3 Dark Stars in a row (the 26th also has a Dark Star) - very unlikely - plus the article matches our tape just perfect. maybe we have the 25th. and do not know a bit about 4-24".
Donor and Provenance:
- AUD master C-120 > reel 3.75ips > DAT > CD
Archival Resource Key: